Saturday, October 4, 2008

How Much Does That Cost!?!!?

Everyone says how much cheaper life is in Costa Rica than in the States. However, from what I've seen, there are only a few things that are less expensive and many things that are way more costly.

Fruits and vegetables grown in Costa Rica are cheaper, as is any other food produced here. However, I've found that seafood and meat are as expensive, if not more, than in the States. (I paid $14 for a little over 2 lbs of shrimp last weekend!) Today, Julia and I were at PriceSmart, the Costa Rican version of Sam's. We joked about a 1/2 pound of frozen smoked salmon that costs $16. Also, at Hipermas, I pay almost $2 for a 2-liter of Diet Coke.

Electronics and appliances are another area where the cost is higher. I noticed small, flat screen tv's at PriceSmart were $1000. I have a 48" flat screen at home that cost that much. These were 1/4 the size. About a month ago, my hair dryer died and I had to buy a new one. I paid $30 at Hipermas (which is owned by Walmart) for a small hair dryer that would cost about $10 in the States. Fans are also rather pricy...sometimes 2 or 3 times as much.

I'm not sure about utilities since I don't see those bills, but I'm pretty sure the power bills are lower and the internet service is about the same. Cell phone service is cheaper but you have to buy the phone outright - no discounts with a contract. I also don't know about rent and mortgages but I get the impression that both are lower, depending on where you live.

Gasoline is more expensive here as well. At one point earlier in the summer, it was over $6 a gallon.

Lastly, the U.S. chain restaurants are more expensive. In June, I ate at TGIFridays. An order of cheesesticks was $10! A Quarter Pounder with cheese combo at McDonald's is $5. Of course, there are some non-U.S. chain restaurants that can be a little pricey as well, but I don't have a direct comparision for those prices.

In short, yes, there are many things that are less expensive (bus and cab fare, some utilities, and services such as salons, housekeeping, and language lessons), I haven't found that the cost of living is a great deal less.

No comments: