Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Banana By Another Name

In my last post, I said I was going to miss any dish made with plantains when I leave Costa Rica. My aunt emailed me and asked what the heck is a plantain? A plantain is a much like a banana but plantains tend to be firmer and lower in sugar content. Bananas are most often eaten raw, while plantains usually require cooking or other processing, and are used either when green or under-ripe (and therefore starchy) or overripe (and therefore sweet). (Thanks Wikipedia!)

In it's raw state, plantains come in two varieties...green which are unripe, and yellow which are ripe and sweet.




Green plantains are used to make patacones...one of my all time favorite dishes here in Costa Rica.



Sweet, ripe plantains are used to make fried plantains, baked plantains, plantains in syrup, and plantains with cheese.


Fried Plantains


Baked Plantains

Plantains are also made into "chips" and come in a variety of flavors, i.e. bbq, lemon, etc.



I know I can get plantains in the States and I plan on making plantain dishes a regular part of my culinary adventures!

No comments: