Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Welcome to the Jungle!

Written on Sunday morning...

I’m on a two night excursion to Tortuguero National Park, a protected wildlife area for sea turtles on the Carribean side of the country. The place where I’m staying is called the Evergreen Lodge. It could just a easily be called “Girl Scout Camp” since I was having feelings of déjà vu when I walked up to my cabin.







My Girl Scout camp didn’t have a turtle pool though and that’s where I’m going to spend some time on Sunday.






The food is better here also, although the Congo Monkeys howling at 4:30 a.m. where something I could have lived (or slept) without!

Getting here involved another boat ride through more waters that resemble the swamp land of Louisiana. This will be the third time I’ve seen this kind of environment in Costa Rica. I don’t see this much bayou, swamp, whatever in south Louisiana and I live there!





After we settled in and had lunch, it was a quick taxi ride by boat to the “town” of Tortuguero…more like a village. We visited the beach where the sea turtles lay their eggs and then explored the town a little bit. The local kids were practicing their musical number for the Independence Day parade.












I’m writing this in my cabin on Sunday morning. I’m planning to take the taxi boat to town this afternoon and post this at the internet café. However, I’m not holding out a lot of hope since this is the internet café…



Obviously, I didn't have much luck at the internet cafe since I wrote the above post on Sunday morning and I'm not posting it until Tuesday morning. I was able to get online but since it was about 105 degrees in the room with the computers, there was no way I was going to spend an hour uploading posts and photos!

No comments: