Thursday, September 25, 2008

But, Mom, I Don't Want To Go To School Today!

We started back to school this week. The teachers were there for three days without the students. I didn't know the school could be that quiet! We used the time to prepare for review week and exams. This school runs on a calendar year and has four two-month sessions called bimesters. Each bimester, the students have exams at the end of the session which is preceded by a review week. It was very interesting to make up exams without knowing what exactly my students learned in the first five weeks of this bimester! I also spent the time creating a "syllabus" for the next bimester so that the students know exactly what is due when, what the homework is each day, and when the tests are. I've found that my 6th grade class is very lackadaisical about turning in homework, studying for tests, etc. So, my OCD has kicked in and I've planned each class period, homework assignment and test for the next two months.

The students returned today and I came home with a headache. I wonder if there is a correlation? I haven't slept well the last two nights so getting up this morning was really hard. I could hear Alejandro whimpering down the hall when his dad was trying to wake him up. I felt the same way...I don't wanna go today!

I found out yesterday that the school is closing at the end of this year so I expect the last two months will be interesting...I'm just not sure if it will be interesting in a fun way or a frustrating one! I think it will probably be fun...the director has already scheduled a bbq at her home for the teachers on Friday night.

No comments: