Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Almighty Plantain

There must be 100 ways to cooks plantains and I've tried at least half of them! On Friday, Imelda and I made "Empanadas de Platonos Maduros." The recipe is quite simple:

Cut the plaintains in pieces without peeling them. Boil until the skin is falling off and you can stick a fork through the plantain. Remove from water and take the peels off. While hot, mash the plaintains, adding flour to make a dough. Also, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, or more to taste. (Others have told me that they add an egg, butter and a little bit of milk as well. I'll try this at home.) Take small portions of the dough and press flat. Put the filling in the middle. We used cheese and refried beans. (I'll use mozarella at home.) Fold over and seal the edges. Fry on both sides in a little bit of oil in a skillet. YUM!

I forgot my camera on this day, but the school's director took pictures and will be sending them to me so check back!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey nola, you're right to many ways, but I like this one. How's your spanish coming. Mine sucks, but I'm committed. On another note: if you have any video or slide show presentations about your experience here, we would love for you to upload them to our site: costaricatravelchannel.com and share your experience with others.
thanx for your time, i need a good yucca recipe.
michael alan
costaricatravelchannel.com
travelcostaricanow.com
doingcostarica.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

WOW!
Are you fluent in Spanish now?
What group sent you there?
Are you still working for the same company that you were with when you moved to LA?
Maybe I need to read more of the blog... I have only read the first page so far.

Anonymous said...

Oh- that was from me-
Sara J