Friday, November 14, 2008

Two Weeks Later...

My aunt emailed me today and reminded me that it had been almost two weeks since I had posted anything on my blog. Unfortunately, I don't have anything exciting to talk about. I do have a couple of items that might be remotely interesting, but the last few weeks have been a routine of school, Spanish classes and lessons with Gaston.

Two Sundays ago, Eugenia, Alberto, Alejandro and I went to Sarchi, an artist community about an hour from where we live. The town is most famous for the furniture Costa Rican artists make. Here's a sample...this gorgeous rocker is hand carved and the pictures on the leather are also done by hand.






As we were driving around we came across this humongous oxen cart. The oxen cart is symbolic of Costa Rica and many people still use them today. They are usually colorfully decorated and hand painted with beautiful designs. On more than one occasion, I have actually passed oxen carts while driving in the outskirts of the bigger cities. If you look closely, you can see Ale standing under the cart in this town park.






This cart would need elephants to pull it!

No comments: