Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Adventure Begins

Well, I started my new adventure today. However, if the rest of this experience is anything like this morning, I’m going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head. So far today I’ve ripped the duffel bag that was part of my new set of luggage and had to repack my carry on; I’ve broken the strap on one of my new pairs of shoes; lost an arm on a pair of sunglasses; and splattered salad dressing on me when I opened the little container on the plane. I guess if those are the only things that go wrong I should be thankful :D

I’m writing the first part of this entry on the plane somewhere over Central America. We are having a little turbulence from the tropical depression in this area. So much for thinking I’m leaving hurricane season behind! Thank goodness I packed the anti-nausea medicine in my carry on. It’s been an interesting plane ride from Houston to San Jose. The two people behind me have talked loudly for the whole trip. Fortunately, some of it is interesting!

My plan for the rest of the day is to get unpacked and settled in my new space. I’m ready to be settled…the last few weeks have been non-stop getting ready to leave. Getting there and getting established will be a huge relief. I’m hoping to go to the school tomorrow and get set up there. I’ll also spend this first week looking for a job at one of the sports betting organizations. Five years of higher education to be a bookie in Costa Rica!


LATER THAT DAY...

The flight from Houston to Costa Rica sucked. It was hot on the plane. And,the flight was full so even though I had an aisle seat in an exit row, I was cramped because there was someone sitting next to me. Also, did anyone know that you can't recline when you're in the exit row? Great leg room but you have to sit straight up...hard to be comfortable and/or sleep like that for 3 1/2 hours.

I'm finally where I'm going to sleep tonight, but I'm not anywhere near settled. The house where I was going to rent a room has had a flooding problem so the woman I'm renting from is in the process of moving to another house. For tonight, I'm sleeping in the original house, but hopefully tomorrow we'll get settled in the new house. So, I haven't unpacked my bags or anything like that yet...I'm trying not to let that stress me out.

I'll post some pics over the next few days.

No comments: