Saturday, June 21, 2008

Food for Thought - Dos

More thoughts, observations and general information:

- Costa Ricans eat A LOT of tuna. In the grocery stores, there are rows and rows of canned tuna fish. Tuna is one of the country's most produced foods. Evidently, it tastes different than what we have in the States. I haven't try it yet...



- There are several channels on the cable line-up that show programs from the States. The CSI series are evidently very popular, as well as Ghost Whisperer, ER, and Desperate Housewives. Sitcoms such as Two and A Half Men, Friends, and Everybody Loves Raymond are also popular. There are a couple of movie channels as well. Most of the time, the programs are in English with Spanish subtitles. What is interesting is that they do not censor the cuss words in the programs. I've heard words on TV that would result in a "R" rating at the movies! And of course, the translation into Spanish isn't literal, but a close approximation.

- Evidently, the Unites States is one of the few places that refrigerates eggs. Here, you buy them off the shelf and leave them on the counter. Supposedly, they last longer that way.

- Books are very expensive here; especially books in English. I bought two paperback books last week. Neither were new publications. The price on the back in the U.S. was $7.99, which means I'd have paid $4.97 at Walmart. Here, I paid $13 for one and $9 for the other. Those of you who know me well know that I can't live without something to read. Hopefully I can find a cheaper bookstore but I may have to have some shipped in!

- Almost everyday, the ice cream man passes in front of the house. Instead of driving a truck, he is pushing a cart with a bell on the handle, much like what you'd find on a child's bike. He has several varieties of ice cream though and so far, what I've tasted has been delicious!

No comments: