Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting Settled

I'm finally settled in...sorta. I'm still living out of suitcases for the most part, but I reorganized so everything I need is in one bag. I think we are moving to the new house today, so I'll be able to unpack my bags and set up my room.

Yesterday, I had my first "class" to teach English. I put class in quotes because it's only one student. He is the CFO for Central America for a global eyecare company. He is pretty fluent in English and want to refresh and target some problem areas. He especially wants to learn about idioms and phrases in English. We don't think about some of the phrases we say most of the time, we just use them as part of our everyday language. For instance, "at arm's length". How do you explain that concept to a non-native speaker????

I meet with this student after work and last night after class, I went to the movies with Karina and Ronald. A little sidetracking here...Karina is a realtor who helped Robin find the houses (the old and new ones) she is leasing. Karina is bilingual so she helps me with my Spanish alot. She and her close friend, Ronald, will be living in the house with me. Ronald only speaks Spanish so I can't cheat and use English when I talk to him. Both are very patient with me, thanks goodness! So anyway, last night we met after my class and saw Indiana Jones 4. We watched the English version with Spanish subtitles this time, but I'm hoping that in about 3 months I can watch the translated version of a movie and not need subtitles.

Later this week, Karina is going to help me find a part-time job, probably with one of the sports betting organizations in the area. I'm going to spend the next week or so getting settled, learning how to get to the house where I live (very important), and establishing some routine in my life (also very important for me!). I've bought a book on Costa Rica and have already marked several places I want to visit and/or things I want to do, so I'll have plenty of blog material in the next few weeks.

No comments: