Friday, June 6, 2008

Exploring Escazu

We're finally moved into the new house. I'm settled in my room. Robin is working on the rest of the house. Not sure who my housemates are going to end up being...Robin and her daughter Kasey, or Karina and Ronald. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I trekked to Hipermas this morning. I say "trekked" because it's about a mile away, mostly up the hill and through a major intersection. (I know, when you went to Hipermas, it was uphill both ways and in snow and you were barefoot!) Hipermas is owned by Walmart. The one is Escazu (where I live) is only about a year old and it is the first to be modeled like the U.S. stores. It's a surreal experience to see the signs...they look exactly like the ones in the U.S., but are in Spanish.



I've told several people that we don't have addresses in Costa Rica. The directions to my house are as follows: 200 meters south of Kinder-Koala, then 75 meters west, 2nd to last house on the end or Billete Caracas, Numero 16. The distance between two streets is given as 100 m, no matter what the actually distance is. So, 200 meters means go to the second street from Kinder-Koala. Turn west and go 3/4 of the way (or 75 meters) to the end of the street. Very weird.

No comments: