Saturday, August 30, 2008

Just Another Day in Paradise

I’m spending the weekend in Bocas del Toro, Panama with my friend Julia. We’re here because tourist visas in Costa Rica only last for 90 days. After that time, you have to leave the country for 3 days before you can get a new 90 day visa. So, Julia and I paid for a package that includes transportation from San Jose to the island of Bocas del Toro, two nights in the hotel, three days of breakfast and a tour. We left San Jose Friday morning at 6 a.m. and arrived at the hotel about 3:30 p.m. Of course, that was 3:30 p.m. Panama time, which is an hour ahead of Costa Rica time. We made the time change as we walked across the bridge from Costa Rica to Panama. I felt like a refugee and I pulled my suitcase behind when we crossed this bridge… Once we crossed the bridge, we took a taxi to the boat launch. From here, it was about an hour to the island. Just kidding! This wasn't our boat. We actually took a speedboat that seated 20, along with all the luggage. Along the way, I took lots of photos and video. The first part of the trip was a lot like taking a bayou tour - not something I needed to do since I live in swamp country. However, once we hit the Carribean waters, it was a different story. Check back for the video clips.








Bocas del Toro is a tourist town. Many, many ex-pats in Costa Rica come here on a "visa run" every three months. There is a main street that is colorful and fun. Julia and I walked through the town last night before dinner. Dinner was one of the worst experiences I've had since coming to Central America. They were out of three of the items I ordered (cerviche, shrimp cocktail and steak) and the "prawns" I ordered were ridiculous. I've seen bigger shrimp come off the boats on the Gulf Coast so these were definitely not prawns. The service was pretty bad as well. The only good thing was the view from the deck chairs before dinner... After a long day, we returned to our hotel which has air conditioning in the room! Hallelejuh! I haven't slept in an air conditioned room in three months!

I'm a day behind on the postings. All of this happened on Friday and it's Saturday evening right now. Today was an eventful day as well and I have lots to share, but I'm too tired to do anymore tonight. So, check back tomorrow for a recounting of Saturday's adventures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You think it's paradise. I think it's paradise. Do you think folks who live there want to go to NO or Houston and call that paradise???? lol