Friday, August 15, 2008

What's Cooking Hot Stuff?

I've started taking Spanish classes at a language school here in Escazu. I go on Monday and Thursday afternoons for two hours. This is my first week and I think it will help with my listening skills, my biggest weakness. The school also offers free cooking and dance lessons to the students. I participated in both this week. Usually, the dance lesson is on Friday but since today was Mother's Day, which meant that everything was closed, so both the cooking and dance classes were yesterday. I was exhausted by the time I got home last night!

Anyway, we made a typical Costa Rican dish in the cooking class - Picadillo de Papa.

Ingredients:
3 kilos of potatoes
1 kilo of ground meat
1 large onion
1 red pepper
6 or 7 cloves of garlic
salsa inglesa - Lizano, a sauce made in Costa Rica
1 spoonful of achiote - another Costa Rican specialty
salt
oregano
olive oil
cilantro
water

Peel the potatoes and dice in small pieces. Dice onion, garlic and red pepper. In a large pot, saute the onion, pepper, garlic and meat.




Add a pinch of salt, about a tablespoon of Lizano sauce, and the cilantro. Add the potatoes and enough water to cover the potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are soft. Serve with corn tortillas.



YUM!

No comments: