Thursday, August 21, 2008

Teacher Tracie

I know this will scare some of you, but I'm going to be teaching 5th and 6th grade students at a local school. I met with the principal today and they are in desperate need of an English speaking teacher (obviously!). I'll be covering English grammar, spelling, reading and science. The students are all bilingual so I don't have to try and explain everything in Spanish...thank goodness!

My first day is Monday and the only downside is that I have to be there at 7:15 a.m. every morning. Ugh! I've gotten used to being able to sleep in! My salary will cover all of my expenses each month with the exception of rent. And, the school offers breakfast and lunch as part of the compensation. I'm sure I'll have lots of tales to post on my blog.

The school year in Costa Rica starts in February and runs through the first week in December. The kids get a two week break during the summer, one week in September for Independence Day, and six weeks in December/January. I think there is also a week or two week break in the spring, but I'm not sure when that is. Evidently, the teacher who had this class didn't return after the summer break and the kids have had a substitute (who isn't a native English speaker) for the last few weeks. The schedule works out well since the end of the year is the same week I'm planning to return to the States.

I guess the real question is...how much damage can I really do in only three months??

No comments: