Saturday, July 5, 2008

Casa Dulce Casa (Home Sweet Home)

I’m pretty much settled into my new home. Eugenia, who isn’t that much older than me, is the mother in the household and she has been wonderful - explaining everything slowly so I understand and making me feel very welcome. Also in the house are her husband, Alberto; her son Jimmy, who is 20 years old; and Alejandro, who will be 6 in August. Alejandro and I are going to have lots of fun together. In any language, in any country, boys will be boys and he reminds me a lot of Rhett.

I moved in yesterday morning and in one day used more Spanish than I had in the month previous. I’ve set a few benchmarks for myself and will celebrate when I no longer need to carry my English/Spanish dictionary with me everywhere (including the dinner table) and when I can understand Alejandro. By the time I went to bed last night, I was mentally exhausted and my ears hurt from listening so hard to understand :D

I got a haircut today. Always scary when you change hairdressers, more so in a different language. I practiced beforehand what I wanted to be sure and get across – it is very important that my hair covers my neck. Thankfully, I managed that and the woman who cut my hair did a good job. We talked for a little bit and she is interested in taking some English classes with me. I’m thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist.com offering English classes. The school I’m working for doesn’t have any more clients in my area, but I may be able to pick up some hours with other students.

No comments: