Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Super Agent 86"...or "Get Smart"

Last night, Karina, Ronald and I went to see a movie after I finished teaching. This has become a habit of ours over the last few weeks. We saw "Super Agent 86," which is the translated title of "Get Smart." This was the first time we'd seen a movie that was translated into Spanish. All the others were in English with Spanish subtitles. Although I was only able to understand somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of the dialogue, I was still able to pretty much follow the movie. I need to improve my understanding of spoken Spanish so movies and tv shows in Spanish help a lot. I also have watched tv in English with Spanish subtitles which is helpful. Anyway, the point is that many times, the Spanish translation is nothing like the English, especially of movie titles. For example:
Get Smart = Super Agent 86
Made of Honor = I Want to Steal the Bride
The Happening = The End of Times

Just a quick hit about the theaters here...they serve caramel corn at the snack bar! Yum!

1 comment:

Judd said...

Caramel corn at the snack bar... What ever happened to good old traditional popcorn? What's this world coming to?! Adulterated popcorn is the death knell of western civilization. Watch out! The end of times is near!! Repent, and you might be saved... LOL ;-)