Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Odds and Ends

I started teaching my new students tonight. Three young brothers, ages 18, 19 and 21. Unfortunately, they know very little English, almost none as a matter of fact, so I have my work cut out for me. We started with standard greetings, days of the week, months of the year, and concepts of time (after, before, tomorrow, etc.) The two older boys are very interested and learned a lot in one night. The youngest didn't seem very motivated at all, but hopefully that will change in our upcoming lessons.

Updates on some other things going on...I finally have wireless access in the house. Thanks to my friend Beth in Memphis for loaning me a wireless router! That's the good news. The bad news is...background info first - I ordered a Vonage system with a Louisiana area code and had it delivered to Brian in Hattiesburg. Brian's wife lives in Costa Rica and he was coming here and brought the package with him. So the bad news is that the adapter doesn't work. It reboots every 2 - 3 minutes which means the calls get cut off. So, I'm having to send back the one and I have and Vonage is sending another to the parental units to send to me. I'm wondering if it's worth all of this trouble!

I'm getting more comfortable using the bus system here. The only problem is there isn't a schedule of buses and their routes. I have a couple of specific places I want to get to and I know the buses stop there, I'm just not sure what the whole route is. So, on Friday I plan to ride around on several buses to figure out how and when I can get where I want to go. Easier to do this when I don't actually have to be someplace at a specific time. I'm sure that experience will lead to an interesting post!

The family I'm living with has a post office box so I can receive mail and packages from the U.S. I'm desperate for books to read so if you have some you want to send, let me know and we can set it up. :D Gaston is going to Texas in August for a conference and is going to make a Barnes and Nobles run for me. Should I tell him he'll need an extra suitcase just for the books????

No comments: